Ankle health starts at home. Everyone must have a proactive attitude and look closely at ongoing problems with their ankles. Maybe you’re straining your ankles too much when you’re working out, or are putting excessive pressure when you’re doing a certain physical activity. However, there is nothing to worry about because this can easily be mitigated with simple steps every day.
Let’s Get Into A Simple Ankle Care Routine For Healthy Feet And Ankles!
Here are a few exercises you can do at home to help keep your ankles healthy. Daily exercises are necessary as they keep the muscles moving and improve blood flow through all critical areas. It will also improve your posture while carrying out any physical exercises throughout your day.
- Ankle circles: Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the ground. Lift one foot off the ground and make small circles with your ankle, moving in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. Do 10-15 circles in each direction, then switch to the other foot.
- Ankle pumps: Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the ground. Lift one foot off the ground and move your ankle up and down, as if you were pressing down on the gas pedal of a car. Do 10-15 pumps, then switch to the other foot.
- Heel raises: Stand behind a chair or countertop for balance. Lift your heels off the ground, then lower them back down. Do 10-15 repetitions.
- Toe raises: Stand behind a chair or countertop for balance. Lift your toes off the ground, then lower them back down. Do 10-15 repetitions.
- Balance on one foot: Stand behind a chair or countertop for balance. Lift one foot off the ground and balance on the other foot for 30 seconds to a minute. Switch to the other foot and repeat.
Remember to start slowly and gradually increase the number of repetitions as you become more comfortable with the exercises. If you experience any pain or discomfort while performing these exercises, stop immediately and consult with a healthcare professional.
Self-care is one of the most critical components of foot care for healthy feet and ankles. You will be surprised how simple some of these steps are, but they sure go a long way in maintaining healthy and nourishing feet.
What’s better is that you can do these AT HOME!
- Always keep your feet clean: Wash your feet daily with soap and warm water, paying special attention to the spaces between your toes. Dry your feet thoroughly after washing, especially between your toes.
- Trim your toenails: Cut your toenails straight across and file the edges with a nail file to prevent ingrown toenails. Avoid cutting your toenails too short, as this can lead to discomfort and foot problems.
- Moisturize your feet: Use a moisturizing cream or lotion to keep your feet hydrated and prevent dry, cracked skin. Pay extra attention to areas that are prone to dryness, such as the heels and toes. If suggested by your doctor, you can also opt for a moisturizing or hydrating foot mask that will help with cracks, roughness, or dryness.
Wear comfortable and breathable shoes: Make sure to wear shoes that fit well and are comfortable to wear. Avoid shoes that are too tight or that put pressure on certain areas of your feet. Do not constantly expose them to sun, dust, or dirt. This will lead to chapping, drying, and breakage.
Check your feet regularly: Inspect your feet daily for any changes, such as cuts, bruises, blisters, or rashes. If you notice any changes or problems, consult with a healthcare professional.
Seek medical attention if necessary: If you have a foot problem that is not improving or is causing you significant pain, it’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional such as a podiatrist. They can provide treatment recommendations and help you manage your foot problem effectively. In the southeast and west coasts of Florida, podiatrists with Certified Foot and Ankle Specialists are spread across 20 locations to make sure your foot problems are carefully looked into.
Choose A Certified Foot And Ankle Specialists Clinic Near You
At Certified Foot and Ankle Specialists, you will get care from a multi-specialty team of doctors and professionals who are experts in podiatry, cardiology, vascular, and wound care – all under one roof! Being the biggest and fastest-growing podiatry group of clinics on the east and west coasts of Florida, you can be assured that we will treat foot, ankle, and lower leg conditions in-house. Read more about foot problems and ankle conditions our experts can treat. You can also utilize our online chat option where our operators will help you find the best location, time, and physician for your specific needs!